Time and time again I continue to have the conversation with people around how to make big, long lasting changes. And time and time again I go back to plan your work, work your plan.
When you have a plan, schedule your tasks and follow through this will lead you to big changes. PERIOD...
If you have goals you want to meet you need to create a plan.
- Know what you want – what is the vision or the big thing you want to achieve
- Write SMART goals to go with it (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, timely)
- Generate tasks for each of these larger goals
- Determine what is holding you back (road blocks) and what you can do to remove those
- Back off a series of goals/tasks so you know when to start and how much time you need
- Schedule all the tasks and actions you need to take in your calendar
Beyond this, there are specific strategies for logging and tracking these goals that you may find helpful. There are many people out there that don’t like the idea of goal setting. There are even some coaches that say you don’t need to set goals, you just need to execute. Although I don't agree with this fully, I do agree with this on some level.
For me, it’s really all about.
- Having a vision and knowing what you are working toward
- Writing that vision down and making it visible
- Taking small steps toward that vision
- just starting - because momentum leads to big change
Beyond that, the process you use is just whatever process works best for you! This is one of the advantages of working with a coach. A coach can help hold you accountable and help you set and document goals in a way that works best for you!